Thursday, March 18, 2010

2D to 3D

I have drawn, sketched, and doodled my whole life. I an finding the most challenging part of carving is going deep enough with my cuts and not just "drawing" a 2D picture on a 3D surface with my knife. As I grow more confident in my cuts I can already see that I have no need to worry about taking away too much, i think I'm still not going deep enough but I'm certainly getting there.

Here's a pic of my progress on that same gnome. He now has arms, some hair, and cheeks. This was a good choice for a first project since a gnome is supposed to look a bit silly I can't mess it up too much on matter what I do.

1 comment:

  1. Looking Good! Drawing is an additive process. Carving is a removal process. You add lead to paper or paint to canvas to get to the final piece. In carving you remove media to get to the final piece. Every once in while when you are carving hold the carving in your hands and close your eyes. Roll the carvings in your hands, touch the entire carving. Does it feel square? Does it feel flat? Does it feel like the piece you have in your imagination? Answer your questions and start carving on the piece again. Thats one of the cool things about carving vs drawing. Theres a lot more feedback from the piece.
    Have Fun

    ReplyDelete